I don't want to do any cooking while my kitchen is getting a few new things. It just so happens that I have a crockpot and I figured, this is a great time to have some freezer meals so that clean up and mess can be left to a minimum. Here is what I'm going to do to make my life a little easier (and keep up with my nutrition....I'm going to make healthy Crockpot Meals for a week(ish)
The first thing, I needed to do is get some supplies. I searched the internet and found the following are helpful:
Have fun planning! I'll get back to you with what I've decided and the shopping list later on.
The first thing, I needed to do is get some supplies. I searched the internet and found the following are helpful:
Supplies:
- Crockpot Liners
- Gallon sized baggies
- Permanent Marker (Red and Black)
- Paper/styrofoam plates, bowls, and silverware(Forks and Spoons)
A few meals I want to do:
- Pot Roast --> see below for a recipe I might try!
- Chicken Breasts --> probably a Tropical version!
- Chili - Using my recipe from my blog.
- Chicken Noodle Soup (using Black Bean noodles)
- The Lasagne sounds good (see recipe below, I would try a vegetable noodle though)
- Meatballs ? Maybe... I wouldn't use the oats though...maybe quinoa http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-barbecued-meatballs-day-11.html
- Taco's are always easy and fun!
- Meatloaf would be okay also!
Have fun planning! I'll get back to you with what I've decided and the shopping list later on.
SLOW COOKER ASIAN POT ROAST
Ingredients
1 four pound chuck roast
1 T garlic salt
1 T freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 T vegetable oil plus 1 tsp sesame oil
3 C water
3/4 C low sodium soy sauce (I used Tamari)
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 C honey
1 T ground ginger
1 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp crushed red peppers
4 scallions, thinly sliced
one bunch carrots, peeled and sliced
2 T cornstarch
1/4 C water
Sliced scallions
Toasted sesame seeds (next time)
Instructions
- Combine the garlic salt, black pepper, and mustard powder and rub the roast with the mixture.
- Heat the oils in a large Dutch oven or the stove top safe insert of a slow cooker. (Not all slow cooker inserts are stove top safe. If yours is ceramic, don't use it on the stove top.)
- Brown the roast on all sides, about five minutes each side.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl or a 4 cup or larger measuring cup, combine the water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, celery seeds, crushed red peppers, and scallions, and pour the mixture over the roast.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for one hour, and low for 7 to 8 hours. I got a late start and cooked mine on high for 2 1/2 hours, and low on 4 hours.
- One hour before serving, quickly add the carrots to the slow cooker and cover.
- When the roast is done, move it to a serving platter and cover with foil.
- Strain out the carrots, place them in a bowl, and cover to keep warm.
- Stir the 1/4 C water and cornstarch together.
- Skim off the fat from the remaining liquid in the slow cooker.
- Place about 2 or 3 cups of the liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about a minute or two.
- Slice the roast and serve over rice or noodles. Add the vegetables and ladle the gravy over the meat and rice/noodles.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
Freezer-Friendly Lasagna Casserole
1 pound ground beef or sausage
1 onion, chopped (optional)
8 ounces of uncooked noodles (we like spiral or rotini noodles best)
1/3 to 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (we prefer cottage cheese and it’s typically much cheaper — especially if you can find it marked down!)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon parsley (chopped fresh or dried)
salt/pepper
1 onion, chopped (optional)
8 ounces of uncooked noodles (we like spiral or rotini noodles best)
1/3 to 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (we prefer cottage cheese and it’s typically much cheaper — especially if you can find it marked down!)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon parsley (chopped fresh or dried)
salt/pepper
Brown ground beef and onion until cooked. While the meat is cooking, boil the noodles according to package directions.
Mix spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes and browned ground beef. Set 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese aside to sprinkle on the top. Combine the rest of the mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, beaten eggs, parsley and salt and pepper.
Layer a third of the meat sauce, then the noodles and then the cheese mixture in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Repeat two more times. Sprinkle with cheese.
To freeze: Cover well with foil and freeze for up to a month.
To serve: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes (until bubbly). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6.


Comments
Post a Comment