Follow me:
Serves: 4 servings
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1½ tsp soy sauce, reduced sodium
3 5oz chicken breast fillets, boneless and skinless
6oz. noodles* (Ramen, thin spaghetti, rice noodles, soba noodles, you find something)
1 cup sliced cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 green onions, chopped
* Ramen noodles - you can use 2(3.5 oz) packets of instant ramen noodles (discard seasoning portion) or thin spaghetti
Every now and then you come across something that looks like it would be awesome to have and you think, should I make it or not? This is ONE of those items. You see, secretly I really REALLY like noodles. If I could have Noodles with a stick of butter...that would be heavenly. I always loved that as a child. I also LOVE mac and cheese. Velveeta happens to be a favorite.
When I started eating healthier, I had to start eliminating a few noodle dishes because, quite honestly, I didn't know how to incorporate them into a healthy....well balanced....day of eating. It gets kinda confusing. I mean, Carbs are thought to be the enemy...light 45 calorie bread, no bagles (ever), stop eating donuts, Spaghetti is OUT, Lasagne...nope, you can't have it! And pizza, garlic bread and breadsticks....I mean, is life really worth living if I can't have carbs?
It took me a long time to figure out that I can indeed have carbs without BLOWING my day. It all comes down to portions. That is REALLY what the 21 Day Fix and Fix Extreme taught me, portions. How I can have ALL of the foods I want, including noodles.
And, when I pair that noodle with this chicken...something wonderful happens. Its almost asian in nature, yet so simple to make. Keep in mind, you can do this on your stove top.
Tell me what you think!
Crock pot Chicken and Ramen
Serves: 4 servings
Portions: 1 Red, 1 Yellow, almost 1/4 green if you're counting.
INEDIENTS
2 eggs4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1½ tsp soy sauce, reduced sodium
3 5oz chicken breast fillets, boneless and skinless
6oz. noodles* (Ramen, thin spaghetti, rice noodles, soba noodles, you find something)
1 cup sliced cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 green onions, chopped
Directions
- Add whole eggs (shell on) to a medium size saucepan and cover with enough water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, remove from heat . Cover saucepan and let sit for 7 minutes. Remove eggs with tongs or a slotted spoon and submerge in a bowl of ice water. Set aside. This process will yield soft set eggs which are typically used in ramen bowls, if you prefer you can hard boil eggs instead.
- In the crock pot, place the chicken broth and soy sauce, add the chicken breasts and Cook on high for 4 hours (or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. .
- Remove chicken breasts from broth, let cool - then shred the meat (using 2 forks works well).
- Place shredded meat back in Crock
- Cook noodles according to time indicated on the package
- Drain and add the noodles to the crock. Add additional Broth if needed.
- Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Peel and halve eggs, set aside.
- Turn off the crock. Add cabbage and carrots.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with one egg half and chopped green onions.
- Optional: Drizzle chili oil according to taste.
* Ramen noodles - you can use 2(3.5 oz) packets of instant ramen noodles (discard seasoning portion) or thin spaghetti
** Hot chili oil can be found in most grocery stores in the Asian section. Substitute sriracha if you cant find hot chili oil. If you prefer something less spicy you could substitute sesame oil for the hot chili oil
Recipe adapted from: http://www.simplehealthykitchen.com/healthy-chicken-ramen-bowl-clean-eating
Sherry -
Keep in mind, I run monthly groups that focus on portions and nutrition. I would LOVE to discuss how I can help you. Just let me know, okay? Find me on Facebook: http://www.fb.com/sherry.rueter or send me an email: sherry.rueter@ymail.com

Comments
Post a Comment