Green Bean Casserole



I wanted to deliver to you a Green Bean casserole for the holidays. I don't know about your family, but I know that in my family, my mom makes this for almost every holiday celebration!  The problem I have with the traditional recipe, is that it normally contains a "can" of something, probably including the green beans and well, that's just not right!  It's not. I said it.  I don't really want you to use a can of anything, ever!

Okay, this recipe....it has fresh green beans, Caramelized onions, a creamy puree of parsnips and mushrooms (shhh - - its a secret )

You can prepare this as directed ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. 






Green Bean Casserole


Serves: 6
Portions: 1 green

Ingredients:


  • 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or butter
  • 2 cups parsnips, chopped
  • 10 oz. mushrooms, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp Minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (from the health section in the market)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
  • 1 lb. fresh green beans



Directions:


  1. Melt oil in a skillet and add the onions. Saute with 1 Tbsp garlic until translucent. 
  2. Remove from pan and set aside.
  3. Melt a little coconut oil into the pan and add to that pan the mushrooms and the remaining garlic. Saute until until liquid is released from the mushrooms, about 6 minutes.
  4. Steam the parsnips by fitting a steamer basket into a saucepan, and fill with one inch of water. Add the 2 cups of chopped parsnips, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low, steaming for about 8 minutes, or until the parsnips are easily pierced with a fork.
  5. Transfer the steamed parsnips to your blender container,  add 3/4 of the mushrooms and puree. 
  6. Add the Water, Nutritional Yeast and Salt to the blender and puree the mixture. 
  7. Add to crock pot the blended Parsnip mixture, the remaining Mushrooms and your green beans. Stir to combine.
  8. Bake on high for 3 hours   (alternatively, the oven at 350 for an hour)
  9. 1 hour before serving, add the caramelized onions and vent the lid with a chopstick. Let it cook another hour.








Comments