Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese


I don’t know about you, but I never outgrew my childhood love of macaroni and cheese. I still indulge in this delicious dish now and then, but I really need a way to make it healthier.  I'm so happy to see from Team Beachbody that they have ideas for me!
Okay Mac and cheese...normally in my house its a packet of noodles, maybe butter and milk and then this orange powder.  While Velveeta's cheese would be my favorite...it isn't exactly what you'd call a healthy meal, or even close.  This recipe will provide a nice make over and upgrade the health rating.
It will have some ricotta cheese for creaminess, and to add 18g of protein per serving. And some Parmesan cheese for some sophistication , a few veggies to make it more wholesome and whole wheat macaroni (not white flour noodles).
Technically this can be made in the oven, or on the stove top. I'm suggesting we try the Crockpot for fun!  If you want to reduce the Yellow Portions....I recommend using only 1/2 of the whole wheat noodles. It will come out a creamier dish (and slightly lighter in calories too!)

Recipe adapted from TeamBeachbodyBlog

   Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

Servings: 10 servings, about 1½ cups each
Portions: 1/2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue
Ingredients:
1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni (or penne pasta)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2½ cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh basi
lSea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Nonstick cooking spray


Directions:

1. Turn your crockpot on high, line it with a liner or spray it with oil.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. In a non stick skillet, over medium-high heat cook: onion, bell peppers, and broccoli; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
4. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside.
5. Combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
6. Add macaroni, onion mixture, and basil; mix well.
7. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.
8. Place macaroni mixture in the crockpot
9. Cook on high for 1.5 hours or until cheese is bubbling.



Need more recipes...Check out Fixate



Comments