Blueberry Amaranth



Have you ever tried Amaranth? I certainly haven't!  I'm guessing my local grocery store carries it in the bulk section though. I'm going to find out sometime in the next 2 days.  I've read that the seeds are smaller than quinoa and that if you over cook them, they turn mushy.  Hmmm, I'm not really sure how this one will turn out in a crockpot...but THAT is my challenge.

The original recipe that I found suggested heavy cream, I'm swapping it out for unsweetened Almond milk!  I'm sure the heavy cream is tastier though. You can decide for yourself what to do. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup amaranth, uncooked
  • 1 cup water (or unsweetened Almond milk)
  • 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey 
  • 1/2tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream (or coconut milk)
  • pinch of salt

Directions:

  1. The night before, in a bowl or pan, measure out the Amaranth and water (or unsweetened Almond milk) and combine. 
  2. Let Amaranth soak overnight (this is supposed to unlock extra nutrients!)
  3. Place in a lightly sprayed Crock pot
  4. Add the Amaranth, and salt.
  5. Set crock pot on low and let cook on high for 3 hours.
  6. Turn off crock pot, and prop open lid with a skewer to vent as this will help to thicken it
  7. In a separate pot, add blueberries, maple syrup and Unsweetened almond milk. Add 1 tsp vanilla Heat over low heat until blueberries are heated through. (Note, you could use fresh or frozen strawberries if you wish).
  8. Serve by pouring blueberry liquid int he bottom, followed by the Amaranth, then top with a few more fresh blueberries.



Comments