Crockpot Fast Food Chicken Nuggets



I'm not sure about you, but I really enjoy a good chicken nugget. Seriously! Its something tastier than another grilled chicken breast and its also less 'fuss'.  I received a Facebook message from a young mom, asking if I could have a few recipes that were "kid friendly".  The first thing that popped into my head was Mc. Donalds Chicken Nuggets.  Yeah, there's a story behind why.

Oh, no its not that I have a Mc. Donalds fettish.  You see, my son was born with a heart defect, his pulmonary valve was formed closed at birth and while this was all fixable, it did cause him to have several visits to the heart doctor for EKGs, Xrays and the such.  One of the deals I would make is that afterwards, we could go for lunch.   He loved Mc. Donalds (free toy!) and most of the time, nuggets and fries.   Now a days, he's 19yrs old and he still enjoys them.

Let's get to the recipe now, shall we. I had to search around the web to find something to go off of.....   

Fast Food Chicken Nuggets

adapted from ayearofslowcooking.com 

Serves: 4
Portions: 1 Red, 1/2 Yellow, 1tsp
Ingredients:



  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 5oz each
  • 2 T Olive oil (or oil/butter of your choice) 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs, or planko.  (slightly less healthier, try a mixture of  corn flake cereal, with saltine crackers and tortilla chips)
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
  • 1 T flax seed meal


Spray your crock.  Cut up the chicken into standard sized nuggets, about 2" by 1" *smaller nuggets work a bit better than really large ones.  Make sure the chicken is fully thawed!

gumgum-verify

In a bowl, add the eggs

In a separate bowl or food processor, combine the bread crumbs and seasonings and mix well.

Dip each nugget into the egg mixture, and toss in breadcrumbs 

Place a single layer on the bottom of the sprayed crock.

Next, add a piece of alluminum foil, punched with several holes (the more holes, the crispier the nugget)
Spray the foil and continue with another layer of nuggets.

Repeat until you have coated all of your chicken.

Place the lid on your crock, use a wooden spoon or skewer to vent the lid.

Cook on high for 4 hours.


Eat and Enjoy!

What do you think?  Come back after you've tried this and leave me a comment!

Comments