Tip for Hiding the Healthy
I have a picky eater at my house. She won't eat mushrooms, onions, green peppers, spinach or cauliflower...just to name a Few veggies. But, that doesn't stop me from getting them into her! Ground turkey can also be boring, tasteless the ground beef users tell me. My theory, you aren't using enough veggies if it's tasteless!
My secret, I hide veggies! This not only makes each pound of ground meat go further, it also amps up your nutrition and really makes the turkey moister and more flavorful. As a bonus, you're sneaking in nutrients that the veggie haters aren't getting otherwise.
I don't follow a strict recipe for this. I typically take a couple pounds of meat and add my pureed veggies to it. Depending on what you have on hand, this will vary. I use mainly:
2 Cups mushrooms
1 Cup Spinach
1 Cup Onion
1 Cup Pepper (Red, yellow or green) (yellow seems easier to hide though)
1 Cup Celery
1 Cup Spinach
1 Cup Onion
1 Cup Pepper (Red, yellow or green) (yellow seems easier to hide though)
1 Cup Celery
Now , this is all dependent on what my fridge has, so use what's available. The important thing is you should end up with about 1 cup of veggies per 6 ounces of ground meat.
Place chopped veggies in a food processor & puree them.
Now combine the ground turkey with the puree'd veggies and presto, you're ready to have tacos, or make meatloaf or burgers....anything you desire. I promise, your picky eater will have NO CLUE that you have so many veggies in their meal!

Comments
Post a Comment