Hit your stride - Don't overtrain

In the past, being on fire--you know, that feeling you get when you've hit your stride, when your motivation and energy are at an all-time high--has always signaled a green light for me to Really Bring It by increasing my intensity and adding in a few too many extra workouts.

My thinking during these periods has always been: if I do more, I will achieve more, and if I feel the energy, why not just really go for it?

There is nothing in the world like the feeling of being in the zone.  Where you are 110% focused and on your way to pushing your body hard.

On the flip side....you suddenly are struck with multiple other feelings..... Fatigue, thirst, headaches, insomnia, depression....sickness....  Trust me, it isn't fun! Most definitely not worth it.  Eventually it will break you.

I have trained and done doubles and pushed hard.  Waking up and dragging myself out of bed and into a workout, pushing hard.  My body eventually forced me to take WEEKS off to fully recover. Tired, down, irritable, sore....for weeks...sucks.

Its hard to understand why you can't just keep pushing it but, you can't.  Eventually you will need to stop.  The other option....keep balanced.  Remember that training is only 20% of the equation.
 Nutrition makes up 80%.  Sure, you may burn more calories by eating too little and exercising too much.  The scale may start to come to a crawl. If it does...evaluate...are you doing doubles? Should you take a couple weeks and only do singles...or  {gasp} only do 3 workouts for a couple weeks?

If you knew that you would be injured and NOT be able to work out for 4 weeks by pushing it HARD, would that be enough to say, hey, singles or 3 workouts this week is BETTER than being injured!  I would!

I am finishing up my 4-week rotation of Rev-Abs. I started out slow and while the temptation to do more has been present, I haven't done a workout longer than 1 hour.  Instead, I've focused on the 80% nutrition side of the equation.   80% of your results will come from what you put in your mouth.  80% of your results will come from what you do the other 23 hours of the day.

I will finish my Rev-Abs rotation and my hope is to start a round of Insanity Max 30. and attack it with vengeance.

Rev it High, Rev it Low, I'm strong, committed and ready to go!


Comments